Saturday, June 26, 2010

June 2010

Its hard living here and not wanting to do anything and everything you can for the children and mom's that you're working with. That has truly been the biggest challenge for me since arriving almost two months ago. The other day Raegan said to me - do you see why I don't like for missionaries to come less than a year? My response was - I can't imagine only staying here a year and accomplishing anything at all, let alone three months!

Since returning from Spain I really hit the ground running. . The first couple of weeks was just struggling through the language barrier, and finding my place within the ministry of Touched Romania. I'm amazed at all God has brought me through since then. Language lessons started, and so did learning how to do night shifts at Casa Agar. I still can't speak Romanian very well, but I'm learning, and the Romanians are very encouraging! I am also teaching the Romanians how to speak English. This I'm really excited and nervous for! I'm excited because so many people have told me what a blessing it would be to learn to speak English better. People who speak English here have more opportunities. Also, working at Casa Agar, the administrative end really needs to know how to speak to communicate with their international partners. I'm nervous because I have never taught English before! I really want to do as much as I can to help in this area because learning English is something I can offer Romanians that they can have way past my stay here. All I really want to do is have God use me in ways that will last!

Since starting here, Casa Agar has changed a lot. One mom and her 5 year old boy left and moved into our transition apartment. This aspect of the ministry is fairly new, but is really a welcome addition. Instead of mom's leaving the house and going straight out into the world they are given a chance to have more independence and still maintain the ministry's support. After about 6 months they are ready to leave and venture out on their own. Of course, Touched Romania is still involved in their lives as much as possible. They always know they have people who care about them and are always willing to help if possible.

So, since one mom moved out, 2 new ones have arrived! They both have two little girls under 2 years old, and one of them was pregnant but gave birth just yesterday morning. We haven't met the new baby yet! We now have 8 children and 5 moms living in the house. It can get totally crazy here sometimes, but all of them are so incredibly sweet and affectionate. I've really grown attached to all of the kids. It amazes me to think - if they weren't here with us, they would be in some desperate situation somewhere. It's really hard to be a single mom here. Nursery schools and daycares are not easy to come by. They are either full or too expensive. (I really want Touched Romania to open a daycare, that's what I see coming next, but that's just me!) Romania has improved drastically over the mess it was after the revolution more than 20 years ago. Hopefully things will continue to improve and this situation becomes less and less of an issue.

Things to pray for

-That the new families in the house will acclimate and build good relationships with the staff and also their fellow moms.

-That God works out circumstances for one mom who really wants to stay in Bucharest when she moves out. It's not going to be easy for her because she has 3 children, but she wants to stay so they can have a good education and more opportunities. Right now her best chance is to go back to her village with her family, but we're praying she can stay here.

-That God gives me wisdom, strength, and discernment. It's hard being an adult all of a sudden. I feel like even though I didn't have the life of a child back in New York, I was still really sheltered and not as responsible for myself, and definitely not responsible for others. This new responsibility is scary! But I know that God is with me.

Thank you so much for reading! I hope to hear from some of you, it would be great encouragement! :)

Blessings,
Gabrielle

1 comment:

  1. Gabrielle,
    So glad to hear (or read) that you are finding your place there! God is so good! I know that you will having a lasting impact on life you encounter! Take care girl!!
    Cicely

    ReplyDelete